Kindergarten Registrations are now being accepted at the Parent Information Welcome Center
The Worcester Public Schools offers a full day Kindergarten program in all elementary schools. The classrooms are staffed by MA certified teachers and most classrooms have an instructional assistant. All classrooms are inclusive combining typically developing and special needs children. The curriculum is developmentally appropriate and addresses personal and social skills, language and literacy, mathematical and scientific thinking, the arts, health and social studies.
Children are eligible to enter Kindergarten if they reside in Worcester and are five years old by December 31st. Registration for Kindergarten begins in January. Registrations are accepted at the Parent Information Welcome Center at 768 Main Street, Worcester MA 01610.
Proof of the child’s birth date, documentation of lead paint poisoning and current immunizations, and proof of Worcester residency (rent receipt or driver’s license or utility bill) must be provided at the time of registration.
Preschool and Kindergarten School Visits
Visits are scheduled during regular school hours as follows:
- North Quadrant - Week of January 22, 2018
- South Quadrant - Week of January 29, 2018
- Doherty Quadrant - Week of February 5, 2018
- Burncoat Quadrant - Week of February 12, 2018
Visits at other times, by appointment only
MA State Law mandates that children entering Kindergarten participate in an individual screening process. The Worcester Public Schools will be screening Kindergarten children by appointment from Monday, August 27, 2018 through Wednesday, August 29, 2018.
Appointments can be made at your school’s Early Childhood Open House on June 6, 2018 or by calling your school after August 15, 2018.
Children must be accompanied to the screening by a parent or guardian.
All Kindergarten children will begin school on Tuesday, September 4, 2018.
TIPS FOR PRESCHOOL AND KINDERGARTEN
- Kindergarten Parent Handbook - K.I.D.S.
- Worcester’s Characteristics of Kindergarten Readiness: Transitioning from Preschool to Kindergarten
- Let’s Get Ready for Kindergarten!
- Getting Ready for School: Tips for Parents - English Español Português Shqipe Việt
- Reading Tips for Families - English Español Português Shqipe Việt